THE SORORITY SYSTEM
A lot of sororities formed throughout the 1910s and 1920s. In addition to the the twenty-six current members of the NPC and four current sororities in the NPHC, other sororities chartering across the continent were Alpha Delta Theta, Beta Phi Alpha, Beta Sigma Omicron, Lambda Omega, Sigma Phi Beta, Alpha Sigma Delta, Pi Alpha Chi, Phi Omega Pi, Theta Upsilon, Pi Sigma Kappa, Delta Sigma Epsilon, Theta Sigma Upsilon, Pi Delta Theta, Sigma Sigma Delta, Kappa Sigma Tau, Pi Sigma Gamma, Pi Alpha Tau and Phi Delta. All of these sororities are no longer in existence; many of them were absorbed by larger sororities, then taken in by an even larger sorority, for example two-chapter Pi Delta Theta to Delta Sigma Epsilon, then to Delta Zeta. National organizations often voted to disband and individual chapters closed, petitioned national sororities, or functioned as locals. Phi Delta, for example, closed shop with one chapter going to Alpha Delta Pi and another remaining local.

Regardless of the success or failure of multi-chapter sororities, the 1920s was the time for college women to be involved in social sororities. (So much so, that women not in four-year colleges joined community or professional sororities [Pi Omicron] or, were they at junior colleges, joined two-year sororities [Eta Upsilon Gamma].) What about women who did not receive bids from any social sorority? Or those who were appalled by the exclusivity of sororities? Or what about women who wanted to be "Greek" but could not afford the dues? What were they to do? Sure, they could join honorary or professional sororities, but some wanted much more.

CREATING EQUAL OPPORTUNITIES
Several girls at the University of Cincinnati felt excluded from campus life because they were not in social sororities. In 1925, Josephine P. Simrall, Dean of Women, was well aware that some of her students were "losing the benefits resulting from activities on the campus and the fellowship created by them."  Plans were made for a Campus Club, a "sister" organization of the campus' Commons Club. That fall, the Campus Club started and within two years, an alumnae chapter and mother's auxiliary were formed. They wanted to become a national organization.

On Armistice Day 1926, unaffiliated female students at Butler University officially formed the University Club, with the help of Dean Evelyn Butler. Within three years, the too, grew to include an alumnae group. Cincinnati's Campus Club extended to them a bid to "form a national chain of college groups based on friendship and democracy."

In the spring of 1929, thirty-seven female students at Miami University in Oxford began the Miami Girls Club. In December, they came together with Campus Club and University Club to form Trianon sorority.

GOING NATIONAL, SORT OF
In 1930, DePaul University's Campus Club had a brief affiliation with Trianon.  The DePaulian of 1932 described its Campus Club as "[becoming] affiliated with Trianon, the national organization for Clubs of this sort." The DePaul club became installed as a chapter in March 1930. The chapter was open to women in the upper classes at the university.

For almost thirty years, Trianon had an open membership policy, meaning that any female student who wanted to join could do so. The only women barred from membership were those affiliations in "any other college or university social fraternity." Women interested in membership completed an application. In 1957, perhaps due to low numbers and the desire to increase interest by way of exclusive membership, girls had to receive an invitation to membership from the sorority.

ALWAYS A STRUGGLE NATIONALLY, BUT SUCCESSFUL AT BUTLER
Miami University's chapter was the first to lose its national affiliation with Trianon due to low numbers. It died in 1940. Cincinnati struggled throughout the mid-century, until it folded in the late 1960s. Butler died in 1974. And that was all for Trianon National Sorority of College Women.


References
Trianon's Wikipedia entry written by blog's author in late 20087 or early 2009. Copies of Trianon Key and the Pledge Manual provided, at the request of author and upon receipt of payment, by Butler University Archives, Special Collections, Butler University Libraries.

copyright 2014, womensfraternities.com



1

View comments

    Loading